Friday, April 16, 2010

Friday is Scrapple Day

Who doesn't like a loaf of ground organ meat?
Crap-- let me start over.

Having grown up just west of Philadelphia, Amish culture has permeated more than just my sense of style and Dad's sensibilities. I have recreated, to the best of my abilities, and with the aid of very sophisticated computer models, the genesis of this rare treat:

-Brother Jakob, it's nearly suppertime. What hath the Lord provided that remains in the cellar?
-I see only cornmeal, hog's head, skin, liver, and heart.
-Sweet Jehovah...

There is something so quintessentially savory and meaty about scrapple that they could probably manufacture MSG from the stuff. If I were to place it somewhere within the food pyramid, I would put it squarely in the group of things that you would only ever touch if you ate it as a child, along with vegemite and anchovies packed in oil. But seriously, talk about synergism, this concoction is way better than the sum of its parts (cornmeal. OM NOM NOM). It emerges from it's vacuum-packed stasis as a dry, grainy lump of whatever-the-hell-it-is, and you may suspect that the pan needs a touch of oil to brown this guy up-- but no. It knows, I'm telling you. Packed deep away within its gray-matterish slices is everything you need for the best breakfast you've had all month.


Scrapple
Ingredients:
Scrapple (find it in the organ-loaf aisle)
Courage


1. Slice with a sharp knife into 3/8 inch slices. Not too thick now, because there is something reassuring about knowing that fire is one of the better antiseptics.
2. Fry over medium heat -- 8-10 minutes per side or until well browned.
3. Serve with eggs and toast. Pair with orange juice.


It is somewhat vindicating that my boorish meat-eating lifestyle (read: religiosity) can nullify Mariel's self-righteousness as a vegetarienne. Also satisfying is the ability to use this blog as an excuse to purchase myself a new camera. Next up is a technology blog so that I can buy myself an iPad. Somewhat fitting, though, is the fact that now we both have the exact same camera -- thereby giving us the opportunity to create gratuitous competition where there should, in fact, be none.

8 comments:

  1. Pff, it's ON Doug. I've been secretly competing with you since 5th grade over 1st chair trumpet.

    Also, I have so much cognitive dissonance going on with that last photo... it just looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um. I LOVE scrapple. However, I was raised to believe that scapple must be VERY thinly sliced, so as to be crispy, crunchy, and never mushy. Just a thought from the (far) western Main Line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, as a Southerner, I got the scrapple thing. Let's face it, anything fried and served with eggs and toast has to be delicious.

    When are y'all going to come and get your tutorial on grits?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that it has so much fat in it that you can cook it for 10 minutes a side just to lightly brown it... haha... I am intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scrapple IS delicious. Also, liking the camera :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always imagined scrapple to be the Pennsylvania Dutch equivalent of haggis. And now that I see it, it looks like cooked spongiform encephalitis. Sorry to shit on your parade.

    Still, I'm a fan of the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmm scrapple- extra crispy with ketchup. They just don't get it here in DC. I've only just sold them on white American cheese and pork roll. And lets not get started on decent bread :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. scrapple is good - bacon is great

    ReplyDelete